[i810] X server crashes on restart after connecting a TV

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Jan 3 10:22:34 PST 2007

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 17:51 -0800, Gautam Iyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have an i915GM, and encountered the following "strange" bug. If I
> connect a TV, and start an X server (dual head) the everything works
> fine and I watch my movies happily.
>
> However, if I exit the X server, then X refuses to start again!
> Even if the TV is no longer connected, and I try to start just a single
> head X server on the local flat panel.
>
> Any ideas? I've attached my Xorg.log containing the error messages,

We're crashing in the BIOS code on the second time around, apparently.
There's not much we can do about this from our driver.  I would
recommend trying the modesetting branch, which is where we're replacing
all the usage of the BIOS with native code.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com