xorg Digest, Vol 17, Issue 87

Tobias Gerschner tobias.gerschner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 18:56:11 PST 2007

> > On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 02:57:54PM +0100, Tobias Gerschner wrote:

> > > Which leads me to an earlier question. There is no way / scheme to
> > > determine in git ( right now ) to see , which version will belong to
> > > which release? I've looked at the tags and heads in gitweb, but could
> > > not find a scheme providing that information. After all you tag the
> > > packages AFTER the release. Is there any consensus made in advance? Is
> > > there a way to determine whether a package will belong to a certain
> > > branch ?
> > >
> > > I'd happily create a wiki page to put those pieces together. Tough I
> > > failed to find those so far.
> >
> > No, there's no way to get this from git.  We should probably be a lot
> > better about maintaining this stuff in a wiki.  If you start a page and
> > seed it, I'll make sure it gets maintained for 7.2 and 7.3 at least.
> >
> Hi,
>
> I started reviewing the wiki in order to avoid suggesting things that
> already do exist. So far I really found almost nothing.  If that is so
> there may be a little more work for a proper solution included. In
> order to suggest it I'd like to get some more questions answered.
>
> Would it be possible for the active and coming RM to include the
> intended xorg release version in the announcements of individual
> packages? Or is this not possible / feasible due to the total lack of
> that particular information? If not, why ?
>
> Who is part of the decision of what is going to be in a release ?
> Package Maintainer / Release Manager , ... ?
> When is that decision made ? Moreover when may that decision be
> corrected and by whom ?

Hi,

I am still very keen to help you out on organizing and doing this. I
think I'd need those questions be answered to put an useful wiki page
together. Maybe that mail got lost over the holidays. If that idea
seems like a no go, please let me know. In that case I'd look for a a
different solution.

regards

--
Tobias Gerschner
Member of Board of Yoper Linux Ltd. NZ

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.