sDVO card for a laptop

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jan 12 10:37:27 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 09:59 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:

> Asus are releasing an add-on graphics card for laptops that connects via
> the Express Card slot later this year.

I suspect this is just a low-end graphics chip inside the card though:

 1) SDVO doesn't support hot-plug (as far as I've been able to
determine)
 2) The SDVO-capable slot is the x16 slot on the graphics chip

But, I'd love to be wrong here...

>  It would be so great if Intel
> figured out a way of doing this -- I'd love DVI output from my Thinkpad
> X60 (curse Lenovo for not doing DVI out and providing a DVI->VGA
> adaptor).

I've got quite a collection that have DVI on the docking station which
just reflects the hardware already present in the laptop. So, you've got
the SDVO->DVI chip in the laptop, and the only way to get at it is to
buy (and carry) the enormous docking station.

Perhaps when HDMI becomes more prevalent we'll start seeing those on
laptops; I think the main problem with DVI is just the enormous
connector size, for which Apple often uses a dongle (ick).

keith.packard at intel.com