Building Xorg from tarballs dies with xdriinfo needing Mesa

ahaning at mindspring.com ahaning at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 12 20:36:46 PST 2007

Hello.

I'm trying to build X.org from tarballs according to the ModularDevelopersGuide.
I currently do not have any X Window system installed. I am using Slackware 11,
but I had similar problems on Slackware 10.1.

I've downloaded both the X.org 7.0 and 7.1 tarballs and merged them with:

guile -s x-merge.scm

Then I've built them using the build-from-tarballs.sh script and using the -m
option to pass in my Mesa source directory. After solving several other
dependancies problems, I've become stuck on X.org's need for Mesa to be built
and Mesa's need for X.org to be built.

xdriinfo's configure script is dieing with:

configure: error: cannot find GL library - make sure Mesa or other OpenGL
package is installed

The config.log shows the same error.

I cannot build Mesa because its configure script dies when it doesn't find
needed portions of an X Window system.

The ModularDevelopersGuide does not mention this problem and so appears to be
leaving it as an exercise to the reader to figure out. Does anyone have any
clear instructions for building X.org from scratch?

Thank you.
--
Andy Haninger