VNC on Xorg?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jan 16 15:45:34 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:09:49PM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch at suse.de> wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:57:31PM -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >> Is there any plan to merge this into mainline Xorg? That'd be a nice
> >> win. I've been pulling the xf4vnc CVS and patching into xorg-server,
> >> but it'd be really nice to just have it there.
> >
> >I'm afraid this will never happen since VNC is licensed under GPL, so
> >it can't be integrated into X.Org (X11/MIT license).
>
> Since Xorg is modular now, why couldn't we add this as a separate
> module that's GPL licensed rather than MIT (unless of course xf4vnc
> needs to be integrated into the xserver; I'm not familiar with the
> code).  Then packagers could choose to include or not-include the
> module.  Isn't vnc.so just basically a DDX?

Right now, our stated policy is no GPL: only MIT/X11 or
less-than-four-clause BSD, or so.  Doing this would be a handwave around
this policy, and I'd rather we changed it for good if we were happy to
distribute GPL[0] code.

And, as it stands, you can't build the DIX and DDXes independently, so
you'd need to build it from xserver anyway.

Cheers,
Daniel

[0]: Honestly, my only objection is that the BSDs have a
     no-GPL-except-for-gcc-and-friends policy.