i810 and dpms broken

emisca emisca.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 09:21:16 PST 2007

I have problems with dpms and xorg interaction on my hp nx7400
notebook, with intel 945gma video card.
The backlight is powered off after the dpms timeout, but after some
time, X starts blanking the screen.
Later I disabled xorg screensaver blanking with xset. The backlight is
powered off, and after some time a big X is displayed.
This occurs with Debian etch (xorg 7.1+i810 1.7.2), Ubuntu Dapper
(xorg 7.0 + i810 1.4.1), Ubuntu Edgy (Xorg 7.1 + i810 1.6.5).
It occurs even on a clean xterm Xsession  (no window manager, no
desktop environment),
This is the output of xset -q:
Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  30
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fadfffdfffdfe5ef
                        ffffffffffffffff
                        ffffffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  0
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
  /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 300
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Attached there is also the xorg.conf and Xorg.log file..

Thanks