X Freezes

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 14:05:18 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 21:34 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> alkos333 wrote:
> > Do the modules from intellinuxgraphics.org solve this
> > issue?
>
> AFAIK, the modules there are just the official ones released as part of
> Xorg etc. Intel is pretty good at developing Open Source drivers (thanks
> to Keith and Co), so that website is just the official site by intel
> pointing at the opensource drivers it helps to develop.

The software code available at intel.com and intellinuxgraphics.org are
just snapshots of the various kernel and user mode (X.org, Mesa)
components you need to get up and running on Intel graphics hardware.
It's all open source--there's nothing sneaky (well, nothing released
anyway--intel_hal.so never came to much I guess) in any binaries you may
find. Intellinuxgraphics.org, for example, was useful for 965 users who
did not wish to run an -rc kernel. You could just update the components
that needed it to get working 3d. Unfortunately last time I referred
someone there I discovered the tarballs are gone. No idea why that is.

> PS someone may want to update the instructions as the Mesa bit still
> mentions Mesa CVS and it's now in git.

I thought that the mesa git repo was a mirror of CVS or has this changed
now??