xf86-video-intel, modesetting branch

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jan 28 16:16:29 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 22:47 +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

> I see, it must be that important thing I was missing :-)
> Now I can see the output modes are really needed.

Ok, cool. There may be CRTC limits on output modes as well, but so far
those aren't too burdensome. At this point, I'm limiting the CRTCs
usable by a particular output to those which can fully support that
output; perhaps we'll make it impossible to use some valid
configurations, but we can revisit that when someone complains...

> Then... perhaps specifying a monitor in main "Screen" section
> should be disallowed?

We can't really change the configuration file syntax; what I'd like to
do is figure out how to usefully use that monitor section for one of the
outputs. We might just want some kind of static definition of which
output that should be; I think that's probably best.

> WRT "Modes" keyword... I still think it's useful and the
> implementation is in fact in place, it's just not currently used
> (that's the i830xf86ValidateModesUserConfig()). I'd have to look
> at it, though.

Right, because Modes isn't a valid part of the Monitor configuration,
there's no way to make this per-output, so instead I opted for a simpler
Preferred Mode option to select a single mode. I would have liked to
re-use the Modes keyword, but the parser wouldn't allow that. Again, it
might be reasonable to use the Modes stuff for one of the outputs, but
defining which one that should be seems a bit of a challenge. It might
be as simple as having the driver use a static output for the 'default'
monitor and modes lines and let that output be configured by the file.

> > As far as I understand, NTSC specifies that the bottom field is first.
>
> Right. OTOH, analog commercial PAL is top-first. Then, DV (that's
> what I need it for) is bottom-first even with PAL and then commercial
> PAL DVDs are (if interlaced at all) usually t-f but may be b-f as
> well :-)

Well, it's quite possible that the VGA output doesn't provide the right
options to set this up correctly. The TV encoder present in mobile chips
is far more customizable, as are the TV encoders on SDVO cards.

> > Does this work in interlaced mode now?
>
> Sure, 576 lines 50 Hz interlaced (25 Hz full frame).

Ah, cool.

keith.packard at intel.com