xf86-video-intel 2.0.0 and Xvideo

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jun 7 13:10:41 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 14:45 -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I've ran into something I didn't expect. I've been doing video to the
> vga or dvi output of my i915 laptop using the overlay adapter to get
> brightness/contrast/etc .  I just switched over to the LDVS (disabling
> the other monitors in xorg.conf), and found that I get nothing but blue
> screen where the overlay should be on the display. In this configuration
>   pipe A is shown as off, and the LDVS goes to pipe B.

This should be fixed as of a few days ago; switching outputs should move
the Xv overlay to the remaining active outputs.

> If I enable both the VGA and LDVS, the VGA gets A and the LDVS gets B
> and overlay video only goes to VGA.

When both are active, you can change which shows the overlay by
manipulating the XV_PIPE Xv property.

> So can only pipe A do overlay video and the LDVS only can use pipe B?

The overlay can use either pipe. But, yes, the LVDS only uses pipe B.

> Are shaders for the textured adapter on anyones roadmap?

If you're interested in brightness/contrast, it should be fairly easy to
adapt the exsiting textured video code. The YUV->RGB conversion matrix
is found in i915_video.c as a set of twelve constants. Adjust these as
needed to change the conversion.

> In a somewhat unrelated question it appears to me that running VGA and
> LDVS simultaneously gives you a cloned display with the resolution modes
> of the LDVS. Are there any other options for running both at once?

Of course, you can explicitly control how the outputs are mapped to
crtcs with the RandR 1.2 extension.

keith.packard at intel.com