Makes me wonder if Linux will ever be ready for the common desktop, not to mention laptop

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 10:30:04 PDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Chris Pemberton <cjpembo at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Linux works great.  99% of all Linux issues are graphics, audio, and
> printing.
>
> What I find even more frustrating is that the Intel 945GM chip has been
> out for a few years and we are still waiting for bullet-proof drivers.
>
> I would like to thank all of the individuals who volunteer their time
> and effort in getting this resolved.  You're certainly not getting rich
> on any of this.
>
> On the other hand, the ball is squarely in Intel's court: if they want
> us to take them seriously as a provider of graphic solution under Linux,
> then they need to step up to the plate and allocate the resources to get
> this done.  For many of us, our machines may very well become obsolete
> before they function properly.
>
> Chris

If you are experiencing problem with 945 feels free to open bug i am
sure it will be tackle at the light of speed given what i am used too see
with intel engineer being very reactive.

In the mean time a lot did happen to the driver of your card thus if
you were using bleeding you did likely experiment bugs (i know no
coder able to do such big piece of software without making bugs);
but if you use stable driver, as i do on my intel hw, i would be
surprise that you got much trouble (but you would not got lastest
features).

Lastly if you take time to look at all work intel did do in the last
years for xorg and on their driver there is no way you can say they
did not put money and spend a lot of good engineer time on
linux graphics support, if you do so then either you did not look
at git log or your trying to spread lies.

Btw i am in now affiliated to intel but i am very gratefull to them
for all time and money they put in xorg, mesa, dri and linux graphics
subsystem in general. NVidia do devote some time to xorg too
but a lot less and AMD is simply not helping at all and just ignore
us (i never saw any of their engineer giving feedback on xorg
architectural change or in general any big change in xorg whereas
nvidia engineer provide insightful feedback on this).

So please take time to look carefully at the situation before
having such inaccurate statement on intel commitment.

best,
Jerome Glisse