intel driver suspend/resume failure

Wang Zhenyu zhenyu.z.wang at intel.com
Sun Jun 10 18:20:28 PDT 2007

On 2007.06.10 09:06:11 +0000, James Bottomley wrote:
> Unfortunately not, since the suspend/resume plugs into the AGP
> device ... these Fujitsu laptops seem to be directly coupled i915 chips,
> so no AGP port.

yep, intel's gfx chip is on a corner of GMCH, but we depends on
kernel agp module to do mem allocation. So intel_agp module is the pci
driver for intel gfx in the kernel.

> I'm in two minds about this one ... as Greg says, the DRM driver could
> do it ... on the other hand, a userspace restore of the PCI state does
> work ... that seems a reasonable argument for simply doing the latter.

DRM should be the way to go, thinking about many users are struggled in
mystery vbios post issue in resume. One thing to note is that even we go
DRM for better resume support, we still need to fix .suspend/.resume in
intel_agp, as I said it's in hand of pci state save/restore. From Andreas
Mohr's experience on i815 and your 256 bytes dump/restore of pci state,
I think we can fix it by simply always save whole 256 bytes state, which
can eliminate those possible broken cases.