ATI and RandR 1.2

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 07:04:25 PDT 2007

On 6/20/07, Alberto Milone <albertomilone at alice.it> wrote:

> git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
>
> cd xf86-video-ati
>
> git checkout randr-1.2
>
> but I get "error: pathspec 'randr-1.2' did not match any file(s) known
> to git"

randr-1.2 is a remote branch, and git won't make a local branch of
that name by default. Try

$ git checkout -b randr-1.2 origin/randr-1.2

That will give you a local branch named randr-1.2 based on the
upstream randr-1.2. If you plan on following upstream development and
have git-1.5.x, you may want to add the --track option:

$ git checkout --track -b randr-1.2 origin/randr-1.2

That means running git-pull will automatically merge in changes in the
upstream randr-1.2 into your local branch just like origin/master ->
master. You can see this in .git/config. If you don't plan on
committing anything, you can just do

$ git checkout origin/randr-1.2

but git won't be that happy about it since it's not a local branch.

--
Dan