Memory leak in X server?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Mar 1 10:51:23 PST 2007

Hi.

I'm running FC5 with:

xorg-x11-server-utils-7.1-5.fc7
xorg-x11-drv-via-0.2.1-7
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7
libdrm-2.3.0-4.fc7
mesa-libGL-6.5.2-5.fc7

on an MSI K8MM-V.  I saw the same issue when
running the updated FC5 release of the server.  All
of the apps and utilities are FC5.

I noticed that the longer that goes on, the more memory my
X server ends up taking (growing past 1GB after a couple
of weeks):

30485 root       5 -10  252m  56m  14m S  5.5  6.0 265:26.68 Xorg

There's not a lot of customization in my xorg.conf file.

Is this a known issue?  Are there any extensions that are
suspect I could disable?

Thanks,

-Philip