Documentation isues

Hans-Jürgen Koch hjk at linutronix.de
Sat Mar 3 07:44:04 PST 2007

Am Samstag 03 März 2007 16:34 schrieb Matthieu Herrb:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 03:33:15PM +0100, robome at myway.de wrote:
> >> Please invest some more energy in documentation.
> >
> > With the resources we have, investing energy in documentation means some
> > development would stop.  We don't have enough people to develop and
> > document.  Sad but true.
>
> Sorry, no. If we don't invest energy in documentation, development will
> stop, because:
> - it will be harder and harder do understand things in the code without
> up-to-date documentation,
> - no one can use code without documentation, so people will slowly stop
> using our code.

I second that.

> Having said that, users who complain about the lack of documentation can
> always help getting things better by *writing* some documentation about
> what they find out, and contributing it back, either by sending patches
> to existing files or by using the wiki.

What I'm missing most is a section "Drivers" in the wiki. At the moment I have
some problems getting dual head to work with a Matrox card. I looked in the
wiki for infos about special issues with the mga driver, but found nothing.
If you agree adding such a section, I'll start it by contributing my
experiences with the mga driver.

Hans