[Fwd: Re: [x11] Application persistency even when DISPLAY connection is lost]

Philip Langdale plangdale at vmware.com
Sat Mar 3 09:52:27 PST 2007

Well, almost. You have to be careful because the running VM will connect
to the X server if you ever attach a local console to that VM, and then
you're vulnerable.

But, for the original problem:

Get workstation 6 (still in beta) and configure the VM to listen for VNC
connections (the VNC server is built in).

Then run the vm directly from the command line:

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx -x <foo.vmx>

This starts the VM headless without a connection to the local X server. Then
use your VNC client from your remote machine.

I'm hoping we can move to XCB fairly easily for this code, although it will
be a while before that shows up in a release.

--phil