[ANNOUNCE] xorg-sgml-doctools-1.2

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Mar 4 11:54:18 PST 2007

On Sunday 04 March 2007, David Nusinow wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 02:21:18PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> And I'll submit again, that the 'docbook' format was a solution
>> looking for a problem, but the docbook promoters have never realized
>> that it IS the problem.
>
>In this case, the problem was "I need to work on the release notes, but
> I can't build them. Also need to be able to generate html for the web
> and text for distribution at a bare minumum from the same file."
> docbook was the solution. Magically, it works. The conversion was also
> fairly easy, which was a major point in its favor over xml, markdown,
> or anything similar. I'm interested in alternate formats (and it's
> generally agreed that xml docbook is the way to go) but the primary
> goal was to be able to build the relnotes so that I could actually
> write them.
>
>> I have all those tools, or did have before I freshly
>> installed FC6 about 4 months ago, configured according to the
>> directions I was able to wheedle from the mailing lists, and frankly
>> no one seemed to know much more than I did about this 'docbook' format
>> of file, or how to actually read it.  I have never been able to type
>> the docbook equ of a 'man someprogram' and get a readable screen out
>> of it, even when trying to give it every argument that made any sense
>> at all on the cli.
>
>I see a lot of words here strung together, but they don't make any sense
>when I read them as a whole. Is moving from one sgml schema to another
>really so incomprehensible?
>
>> I will stop denegrating this docbook flood of nonsense BS when I can
>> type 'docbook procmailrc' and read it, till then please give us
>> simple, easily read manpages.  Stop hiding the docs for this stuff
>> behind an impenetrable curtain of gobbledygook, far worse that trying
>> to read an html email as plaintext.
>
>docbook2man and docbook2txt are probably what you're looking for if you
>have trouble reading structured markup.

I assume docbook2man uses docbook2txt & then gz's it like a manpage?  In
that case, can it not be scripted to just go into any programs docs
directory, and wildcard it all, putting the end result in the directory
$MANPATH points to?  Then the question is where in the man1-man9 tree
does the product of the script go...