Bugs in xf86-video-intel 1.9.91 (2.0 RC1)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 5 18:16:55 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 22:56 +0100, Pavel Troller wrote:

>   It's 945G here, and EDID doesn't work.

We've seen several LCD monitors that report EDID over DVI and fail to
report EDID over the VGA connector. I reset some DDC I2C timing in the
SDVO code and got several more monitors working. I'm wondering if we
need to do the same in the generic xf86 DDC code as DDC uses much longer
timeouts than the I2C defaults.

What kind of monitor do you have, and how is it connected?

>  Monitor section of xorg.conf is
> totally ignored.

Right, we have per-output monitors now and I haven't figured out what to
do with the old monitor section. You can configure which monitor to use
by setting an option in the driver section:

Option "monitor-VGA" "MyVgaMonitorSection"

and then creating a monitor section with the name 'MyVgaMonitorSection'.

>  Where are the default monitor data ? I'm going to patch
> them to allow my monitor to work at 1600x1200 as obviously.
>   BTW there are many threads in this list complaining just about this
> problem, and there were never any attempts (AFAIK) to find a real cause
> and solution. I think EDID doesn't work here even with the old driver,
> this is the reason for which I have the monitor data carefully filled in
> xorg.conf. Why they are ignored by the new driver ?

Which output should the existing monitor section be used for?

keith.packard at intel.com