slackware 10.2 --> 11.0 and i810 drivers

Tue Mar 6 05:02:17 PST 2007

I've read somewhere that intel drivers for i915 (and i810 etc) are
supported by slack 11 whereas slack 10.2 doesn't support it very well at
all. So I decided to follow the instructions on the UPGRADE.TXT for
upgrading from 10.2 to 11.0 using install/upgrade pkg. I followed the
instructions and now have a nice and upgraded slack 11 distro booting
and running.

I also built a new kernel (2.6.20.1). My new X is 6.9.0 as opposed to my
old 6.8.2. Unfortunately X doesn't start using startx with :

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel 915"
Driver "i810"
#VideoRam 65536
Option "XVideo" "On"
Option "MonitorLayout" "LFP,CRT"
Option "DevicePresence" "On"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier  "Screen 1"
   #Device      "VESA Framebuffer"
   Device "Intel 915"
   Monitor     "My Monitor"
etc
etc

I get a blank screen when I run startx. All black...nothing. I can at
least start X if I use the VESA mode but of course thats not what I
want. When I had 10.2 with this SAME configuration I would get an error
similar to "no matching device found for i810". Now I just get a black
screen. I don't know if this is better or worse!

This is on my toshiba laptop.

Any ideas are welcome.

- Kevin