Xorg / radeon / vesa ignoring custom ModeLines bug?

José Oliver Segura primijos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 04:40:01 PST 2007

On 3/8/07, Roland Scheidegger <sroland at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:

> Because you're using LCD/DFP. The driver will ignore all custom
> modelines no matter what, and always use on-chip scaler (rmx) to scale
> all other resolutions to that. Even without ddc/edid data, it will get
> panel timing parameters from bios.
> That said, the proper solution would be to program the 2nd dac correctly
> for tv-out, atitvout is a gross hack you can't really expect to work.
> If you don't need the panel, maybe you could convince the driver to just
> set up the primaray dac for a crt panel (with MonitorLayout "CRT,
> NONE"), thus accepting all modelines, though I'm not sure this will work.
> Roland

    Oh I see... the driver bypasses any ModeLine as long as I'm using
a laptop with a panel and it gets the modes from the chip. I was
suspecting that the point was around that automatic scaling from RMX,
but didn't find any option neither in the radeon driver nor in the
xorg.conf general manpage.

   Ok. For me will be no big deal to disable de panel, as long as it
doesn't work (kaputt) and, believe or not, this laptop has a FC6
installed 100% via vnc!! :)

     I'm using atitvout since everywhere I read on the web sais that
the open source drivers from Xorg for ati chips don't support tv-out
and I'll be happy to know that this is  not true anymore and I can use
only Xorg to get tv-out! I'll try to experiment with the configuration
of just one external monitor without laptop LCD.

      Just curious about... If someday I get a working panel/laptop,
is it possible to have a standard resolution, let's say, 1024x768 in
two heads but each one with it's own modeline? Using separate sections
for two different monitors? drivers? using metamodes? Well.. first
I'll check the current issue.

       Thanks a lot for your help

       Best,
       Jose