blackscreen with xf86-video-intel-1.9.91

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Mar 10 13:12:50 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 21:03 +0100, Matthieu Baechler wrote:

> > Can you provide us with more precise model information? Many people have
> > run this driver on various macbook models and it has worked for them.
>
> It's a Core 2 Duo model, also known as Macbook2,1, exactly the one you
> can buy on apple.com at this time.
>
> I forgot to say that I don't use BootCamp on it, so no BIOS emulation is
> provided (I boot with rEFIt)

Ok, that's probably something that most people haven't struggled
through. I do note that the driver finds enough of a BIOS to locate the
LVDS parameters (which appear correct, aside from sync polarity, btw).

> > Looking at the output of the server, this doesn't make sense; the server
> > leaves all of the registers it knows about in the same state as at
> > startup time.
>
> I don't know if it makes sense, but it's what happen.

We're very familiar with that situation; the hardware is rather
sensitive about the precise order and timing of register writes, so just
because the register contents are correct is no guarantee that the
hardware itself is in a good state.

> What additional clues could I give you for your diagnostic ?

The log files you've provided should be sufficient; I can compare them
with the core 2 duo systems that I have and see if anything jumps out.

If you were willing, it would be interesting to know whether flashing
the BIOS with bootcamp solved the problem as other people have managed
to get things working this way. BootCamp isn't an 'emulation' at all;
it's a real BIOS for your hardware and converts a proprietary platform
into an industry standard one through the simple magic of software.

Not that we shouldn't fix EFI-based macs as well, but this has the
potential of both solving your short term problem as well as providing
another clue (through the register dumps in the log file there) as to
what is going on with the EFI version.

keith.packard at intel.com