xf86-video-intel Textured Video vs Video Overlay

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sun Mar 18 11:27:01 PDT 2007

Tristan Willy wrote:
>  As I understand it, the intel driver provides video overlay if the
> chip supports it (no overlay in the 965). This is the only XV port
> that will not experience tearing, at least until there's a way for the
> driver to get a cheap vertical retrace signal.

If the overlay code only has advantages compared with the textured code,
on the hardware that supports it (like the 945), I wonder why the
decision was made to make it the second adapter?

The driver code decides which xv adapters to initialize based on chip
set, but now it always adds the textured first if it can.

While Mplayer can take a command line argument for xv port, I believe
xine and mythtv don't have the option and just pick the first.