TV-out support ANYWHERE?

José Oliver Segura primijos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 02:42:41 PDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Dirk Thierbach <dthierbach at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 07:16:25AM +0100, Csillag Kristof wrote:
> > - Ati cards have two driver sets: the closed proprietary binary
> >   fglrx, where everything works (sort of), the the open ones, which
> >   can not use tv-out.
>
> AFAIK, ATI cards can also use tv-out with help of an extra program.

       My experience: ATI Radeon Mobility. I can get TV-out from
s-video using an open source program called atitvout, but this
combination has some limitations: only VESA modes are available
(actually atitvout uses VESA Bios calls to do tv-out) and you have to
have all your displays attached at boot time.

       I can't, for example, use a custom ModeLine to force overscan,
I must get stuck to the VESA 1024x768 modeline, that "thieves" me
about 10% of my TV screen :-( Whenever I try to use a custom modeline,
atitvout gets knocked-out and I can't get any  usable output in my TV