BadAlloc with XV and 1.9.92

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 21 02:08:37 PDT 2007

Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Mar 20, 07 10:01:03 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Not sure if it's just my config (very little settings - trying to just
>> let things happen automatically - IMO a good test :)), but when I try to
>> use mplayer to play video with -vo xv I get the following:
>>
>> X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)?,?% 0 0
>
> Try setting the option "LinearAlloc" to something like 8160i
> (see man i810).

Didn't help unf.

Is there any other debug flags I can set to help sort this?

>> I run beryl and -vo gl and -vo gl2 are both entertaining but useless!!!
>> Not sure if it's beryl that causes this tho, should really try without it.
>
> Definitely.
> Using a compositing window manager changes about everything related to
> OpenGL and XVideo.

Yeah, compositing managers are a PITA, but I've got a sweet eye [failed
attempt at a sweet tooth analogy for eye candy....].

I just wish there was one ultimate video output method that allowed fast
accelerated video with GL overlays... It's what impresses me most about
OSX is that things like that "just work". Still we're getting there :D

Col