xv overlay - cinema mode

Wesley S. profox at ubuntu-nl.org
Thu Mar 22 03:04:16 PDT 2007

This question has been running around in my head for months now.

Is it possible to use xv overlay to play a movie fullscreen on my TV, but
windowed on my computer? (or even minimized on my computer)

It would make a great addition to my laptop. That way I can still chat or
browse the web while the video just keeps playing fullscreen on the TV.

I have asked this question a lot of times, but no one I asked was able to
help me.

Technically, it should be possible. Because years ago I was able to do this
with the same laptop, but in Windows XP. I had to enable something called
"Cinema mode" for it to work in the overlay settings window.

I hope someone can help me.

And just in case the video driver matters: I am using the i810 (intel)
driver on this laptop

X.org version:

X Window System Version 7.2.0
> Release Date: 22 January 2007
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
> Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu
> Current Operating System: Linux eza 2.6.20-12-generic #2 SMP Sun Mar 18
> 03:07:14 UTC 2007 i686
> Build Date: 20 March 2007

I hope this list is the right list to ask this question

Thanks,

--
Wesley Stessens <profox at ubuntu-nl.org>
Human Knowledge Belongs To The World - Antitrust (2001)