RFC: Video decode acceleration API

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at fi.muni.cz
Tue Mar 27 14:48:36 PDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 02:34:46PM -0700, Bian, Jonathan wrote:
> The current interface is focused on video decode only and is window
> system independent, so that potentially it can be used with graphics
> sub-systems other than X.  In a nutshell it is basically a scheme to
> pass various types of data buffers from the application to the GPU for
> decoding a compressed bit-stream.  This is very much a work-in-progress
> and the current draft only defines data structures for MPEG-2 and VC-1
> decode at the VLD (or slice level) entry-point.  I would like to get
> this out for critic and feedback before going too much further, and also
> hopefully make it a community collaborative effort.

Just a little notice. If you are willing to build some new application interface
for video playback, I think we should consider to provide zero-copy approach.
I.e., client can get shared memory region from the X server that will be
passed directly to the HW (without additional copies) and the client is able
to fill data directly to this region, e.g. from network or a file.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek