RFC: Video decode acceleration API

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Mar 28 12:31:12 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:34:46 -0700
"Bian, Jonathan" <jonathan.bian at intel.com> wrote:

> Attached is a proposal for a video decode acceleration API that I would
> like to get feedbacks from the X.org community. The main motivation for
> this proposal is to enable hardware accelerated video decode at various
> entry-points (VLD, IDCT, Motion Compensation etc.) for the prevailing
> coding standards today (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264/AVC and VC-1).  After
> looking at extending XvMC but due to its original design for MPEG-2
> MotionComp only, it seems making more sense to design an interface from
> scratch that can fully expose the video decode capabilities in today's
> GPUs.

I haven't read your proposal yet (not awake enough anymore),
but you should definitly also ask the people from MPlayer,
xine and VLC. The API has to fit somehow into the architectures
of these three players. Otherwise it cannot be fully used.
And if those three aren't going to use it, noone will.

			Attila Kinali

--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann