xf86-video-intel-1.9.93: Unstable switching from text to X

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 04:02:21 PDT 2007

Pavel Troller wrote:

>>>  I would like to report that the RC3 intel driver release, as well as git
>>> master, is very unstable in the moment of switching from the text console
>>> (intelfb) to X. At about 10% of cases it causes full system freeze,
>>> including
>>> acpi and networking, so full reset is totally necessary.
>>>
>> I just tried to switch back and forth text mode with RC3 about 20 times,
>> and had no trouble.
>>

> I believe. There are many chips and their variants and it's possible that the
> crash happens for only one of them, or just with a specific setting of the
> kernel intelfb driver etc. What card do you exactly have ?
>           With regards, Pavel Troller

I reported a problem very much like this  a while ago. I have the 945
chip in an HP 7600
PC. I will not be able to retest for a week or so with the current
driver. The developers
kept asking for the logs but in my situation the system hard locks
requiring the power to
be cycled and the end of the logs never makes it to the disk. mounting /
sync prevented the
problem from recuring. But given the system was soooo slow with / sync
the timings
are very different.

Barry