x.org is Hacker Trash

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Mar 29 07:24:50 PDT 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 01:49:54AM -0700, xorg sucks wrote:
> I had spent so much of my life on this TRAIN WRECK of
> a project that it was virtually painless to make an
> account specifically for this email.
>
> In Brief:  WTF?
>
> What's with you Open Source ninnies and your love for
> customization? Who the hell needs more than one way to
> get the source?

I'm not even involved with the internals of X.org, but I can answer
this question anyway:

You Are Not The Target Customer For X.org.

Distribution packagers are.

And the flexibility of the build (which you view as needless
complexity) is intended for those people, who want to pick and choose
what they put in the systems they build for tens (or, hopefully)
hundreds of thousands of end-users.  Having 2 or 3 guys inside SuSE who
have to expend some skull sweat to figure out how to work with the
build is considered a win, in this context.

That you aren't {inclined,capable} of doing the same is likely of less
consequence to those designing the build, though clearly I don't speak
for them.

If you aren't happy, I'm sure anyone would be willing to refund every
penny you paid.

Or you could fork the project.

Cheers,
-- jr 'we look forward to your patches' a