ati

Gilles Dartiguelongue dartigug at esiee.fr
Mon May 14 11:52:06 PDT 2007

Le vendredi 11 mai 2007 à 00:09 +0200, Jerome Glisse a écrit :
> On 5/11/07, ajtiM <ajtim at wi.rr.com> wrote:
> > I have ATI Radeon 9000 and the last version of xf86-video-ati  6.6.191-1
> > doesn't work or better: KDE start but on logoff computer freezing. Also when
> > screensaver start and works correct but after move a mouse or press a key
> > computer freezing.
> > My system: Arch Linux, kernel 2.6.21, KDE 3.5.6, Xorg 70.200.000
> > Thank you.
>
> Could you try disabling dri (for example by commenting out dri
> module in your xorg conf). The freeze you experience are likely
> caused by use of dri. Unfortunetly such freeze are very hard
> to fix and we still need to figure out a way to do so.

would dri cause sporadic freeze with a higher probability of freezing
when/after watching a video (xv) and/or maximizing windows (especially
after with kernel 2.20+) in mergedfb setup ? Could it also trigger NMI
watchdog on an smp box (see this way too often these days on 2.6.17) ?

Also still using a mergedfb setup, I often see a ghost cursor appearing
on the other screen while I'm doing some stuff on a particular area of
the second head. If setup is [Screen 0][Screen 1], the ghost cursor
appears on screen 0 and sticks to the left of the screen while the real
cursor is on screen 1 navigating between about 0 and 500 pixels of the
left border (mergedfb is 2560x1024).

For the moment I've disabled dri and composite extension and the box
seems way more stable even so it appears it stills freezes after
watching a video on screen 1 while this doesn't happen when watching on
screen 0.

I know it's bad to extend mail topic like this but since I think it's
somehow related, I'm jumping on the occasion before trying to fill
proper bug reports. Obviously the problem for me is to have a way to
reproduce these problems with a good accuracy and I couldn't find a way
to get traces of whatever sort so if you have infos, tips and such feel
free to mail me.
--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <dartigug at esiee.fr>