External monitor on a laptop with intel 945GM graphics

Vedran Rodic vrodic at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:38:53 PDT 2007

On 5/16/07, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I saw that it crashed at the end, that's a bug (have you filed it
> at bugs.freedesktop.org yet?).

I'll do that.

So get-edid manages to fetch the EDID data but the server seems to
> fail... Looks like it's EDID 1.2, is this an old monitor?  There have
> been reports of people with old monitors not getting their EDID block
> back, which may be a timing issue in the server's EDID code...

Success!

It works by explicitly putting the get-edit generated monitor section in the
config file, listing a lot more modes, including the desired 1280x1024 at 85 Hz
(though a copule of unsupported modes are listed as well). It also only
works that way with the xorg server from git.

Monitor is "Samsung SyncMaster 900NF"  from march 2001.

Please tell if I can help in any way to make the server get the EDID data.