X Server setup on ARM Board with PCI VGA card

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Nov 1 01:15:28 PDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:39:45 -0800
"Rupesh Kumar" <a.rupesh.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My goal is to make a VGA card work on ARM system
> I am seeing two issues in this kind of setup
>    1.Legacy VGA Range support.(My board doesnt support this I/O Range).
>    2.Running the VGA BIOS.(BIOS Contains i386 image which cant be run on ARM).
> The card which can run as Secondary Adapter cant use the legacy range.
> so my first issue is solved.
>
> Does a VGA card run without running its VGA BIOS.

Yes if you have complete enough documentation on how to configure the
hardware and bring it up. For some video chipsets this is in the public
domain for a lot of others it is not.

X.org also contains an x86 emulator which may help, but if the BIOS
itself uses legacy vga ranges to configure the chip that might not help.

Alan