dual-head issues

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Tue Nov 6 05:24:11 PST 2007

Yan Seiner escreveu:
> I'm trying to set up a dual-head system.  I am running into a problem
> where only 1 screen is active at a time.
>
> The current system has 2 heads; when X starts I can see the first server
> start up.  As soon as the second server starts up, the first one goes black.
>
> X is running on both heads; just the screen is black.
>
> root      7832  0.3  0.5  65476 11996 ?        SLs  21:10   0:01
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -layout Yan -novtswitch -sharevts vt7 -auth
> /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp
> root      7867  7.6  1.0  75820 21764 ?        RLs  21:10   0:27
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -audit 0 -layout Noriko -novtswitch -sharevts vt7
> -auth /var/lib/gdm/:1.Xauth -nolisten tcp
>
> There is nothing to indicate that there is any problem.
>
> I am using the evil binary nvidia driver but I have also confirmed this
> with the nv driver and with older, known good versions of the nvidia driver.
>
> I am stumped.  I've set this up in the past without these problems....
> At this point the only thing I can think of is that the GT7600 card I am
> using simply is not compatible with dual head....
>
> Anyone see any problems here?

Yes.

This is issue totally related with the VGA arbitration [0] which we
discussed some days ago here. No one knows if the nvidia driver will
only use MMIO and no legacy stuff to decode the resources.

Cheers,

[0] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-October/029685.html

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre