X server memory footprint growing continuously and monotonically over time

Omari Stephens xsdg at mit.edu
Sun Nov 11 09:20:52 PST 2007

Remy Bosch wrote:
::snip? SNIP!::
> You message was a wake-up call since I had mysterious oom-killings recently.
> With the help of your script, I see rising mem-usage:
> A shorteded list:
> 0x08aeb000 - 0x081dd000 = 9494528 <- start-value
> 0x0915e000 - 0x081dd000 = 16257024
> 0x08dee000 - 0x081dd000 = 12652544
> 0x08e68000 - 0x081dd000 = 13152256
> 0x09455000 - 0x081dd000 = 19365888

You should look at xrestop to see what it says about X client pixmap memory
usage.  Given that the last usage you reported is 20 megs, it seems plausible
that that's caused mainly by X clients storing (and freeing) pixmaps.
Furthermore, look at top, but _make sure you understand what it's telling you by
reading the manpage_.  Last, [1] is an excellent resource for learning about how
X memory usage works.

[1] http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/forum/2003-April/003370.html

--xsdg