xorg multiseat xgl

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Mon Nov 12 04:56:20 PST 2007

Hello Yan,

Yan Seiner escreveu:
> Alas, I am not a X11 developer, and setting up a full build environment
> that actually works and works well is not trivial.  My second-to-last
> last effort got as far  as locking the machine up totally when Xgl
> started; the current effort, trying to build Xgl from CVS fails since it
> can't find a particular .h file in the Mesa tree....

No, that Xgl's page [0] isn't updated. You should use git instead cvs.
See the procedures here [1, 2].

And yes, unfortunately build a complete environment of some X server is
not so trivial. You have to accustom yourself with the terms, need to
keep up to date with the list, need to use IRC (#xorg,
irc.freenode.net), etc. Really sad, but amused :)

> I guess I am looking for some sort of testing packages or at least a
> 'multiseat for idiots' guide for Debian Lenny; there's only so many
> projects I can stay on top of (I am involved in several embedded - no X
> at all - projects).  At some point I have to draw the line and say, "For
> xorg, I am a user, not a developer."  :-(

I'm almost completing 2 years on the Xorg community. My initial interest
when I get started was only to deploy a good multiseat solution and I
think I understanding the real problems only now!

Besides the "technical" difficulties to deploy a good multiseat, the
Xorg community also cares for developers. IMHO, multiseat is a special
case where there're so many people using but a really tiny group
developing (I'm considering who write simple scripts to automatize the
installation is not a developer!) and for some reason there's no such
interest of big companies on this subject.

my regards,

[0] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Xgl
[1] http://www.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide
[2] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Infrastructure/git/Developers

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre