xorg.conf file for single or multi-head setup

Wu, Nian nian.wu at intel.com
Tue Nov 13 17:08:39 PST 2007

pkaplan1 at comcast.net wrote:
> I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 on a Thinkpad T43 w/ intel 915 video.  I am
> often connected to a Sony X-95 external monitor.
>
> Using the X configurator, I generated the attached xorg.conf file to
> allow a two screen virtual desktop.

Since randr1.2, the xorg.conf has changed much, you can refer this doc
about how to config xorg.conf:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html

> However, when the external monitor is not attached, I get the same
> 2304x1024 Desktop with only a fraction visible on the laptop monitor.
>
> On previous machines I was able to us xrandr to change the screen
> resolution to 1024x768 under this situation, but now nothing happens.
>
> Here is the output of xrandr:
>
> $ xrandr
> Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 2304 x 1024, maximum 1024 x 768
> default connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right) 0mm x 0mm

Very stranger, the current size is larger than maximum.

>    1024x768       60.0*
>    800x600        56.0
>    640x480        60.0
> $
>
> using xrandr -s 1024x768 or xrandr -s 0 does nothing but return to
> the command prompt.

Randr1.0 commands are not well support, please try:
xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x768

-Nian Wu