EDID decoding in libXrandr?

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Wed Nov 14 05:43:41 PST 2007

Keith Packard writes:

 > > The parser would be a single API entry:
 > >
 > >    int
 > >    XRRParseEDID (const unsigned char *edid_data,
 > >                  XRRMonitorInfo *info);
 > >
 > > that would fill out the info struct if edid_data resembles an EDID
 > > block sufficently (ie., it would be reasonably forgiving of malformed
 > > data).
 >
 > The library should probably allocate the structure and fill it in, and
 > the structure should contain version information so apps could tell
 > which parts were valid, and whether various extension bits existed.

What's wrong with the present EDID parser in X.Org?
It wouldn't be a problem to move it into a separate library which
is used by both the server and libXrandr.
I't code that has been well tested (including the code that generates
modes and handles quirks).
Replacing it doesn't seem to be warrented as the existing code
already provides a single entry point.

Cheers,
	Egbert.