[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.7.196

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 07:16:01 PST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 10:24 AM, Andrew Clayton <andrew at pccl.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:51:20 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:

> > Another RC release.
>
> After upgrading to Fedora 8 which comes with ati-6.7.195 (this
> also happens with latest git b865886d00907899297ae864358eb26d9980975d),
> I noticed that xscreensaver doesn't cover the whole screen, also compiz
> seems to have some display anomalies.  In that in both cases it looks
> like in some ways they think the screen is smaller than it is. The card
> is an AGP Radeon 9200 PRO to which is connected an Acer flat screen
> running at 1440x900 connected to the VGA port.
>
> Running xrandr perhaps shows the problem.
>
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 1440 x 1200
> VGA-0 connected 1440x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm x 255mm
>    1440x900       59.9*+
>    1280x1024      75.0     59.9
>    1280x960       59.9
>    1152x864       74.8
>    1024x768       75.1     70.1     60.0
>    832x624        74.6
>    800x600        72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2
>    640x480        75.0     72.8     66.7     60.0
>    720x400        70.1
> DVI-0 unknown connection (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>    1360x768       59.8     60.0
>    1280x800       60.0
>    1152x864       60.0
>    1280x768       60.0
>    1280x720       60.0
>    1024x768       60.0
>    800x600        60.3
>    640x480        59.9
>    1440x900       59.9
> S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>

> There is a DVI port, but nothing is connected to it. The 1440x900 mode
> on the DVI output I added to make xscreensaver fill the whole screen.
> Compiz sill seems to think the screen is maybe 1360x768 in some ways,
> normal display is fine, but when doing things like cube rotation or the
> film strip effect. See http://digital-domain.net/compiz-screenshot.png
> on the right hand side the display is slightly dropped and if you look
> at the background image it looks like it is in the 1360x768 region and
> also in the 1440x900 region...

We are not able to reliably do load detection on the tv dac as of yet
so the connection status is unknown.  You can force the output off by
default in your config.  See this page for more info:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.com/dualhead.html
you can also force it off at runtime with:
xrandr --output DVI-0 --off
It's an intel page but it applies to any randr 1.2 capable driver.
The driver used to default to unconnected on the tv dac if DDC failed,
but that led to some users not being able to get the xserver up if
they were using an old pre-edid monitor or have a chip with
problematic ddc.

Alex