EDID decoding in libXrandr?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Nov 15 09:24:19 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 03:27 +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> writes:
>
> > The real question in all of this should be the following: why does gnome
> > need edid parsing itself?
> >
> > I thought we were moving in the right direction with modesetting, so
> > that this sort of thing would no longer be needed.
> >
> > What are we doing wrong? Why can't you depend on X?
>
> It is mainly to get information about the monitor to display to the
> user so that the control panel can refer to 'Sony 21"' rather than
> "DVI-0" or similar gobbledigook.

I'm currently (slowly) collecting standard properties for RandR 1.3 that
should include stuff like this. Please feel free to help figure out what
other stuff you'd like to see pulled from the EDID block.

Not that we shouldn't also create an external EDID parsing library for
other things, but it sounds like the information you want for this
should be provided by the server in a non-EDID dependent fashion.

keith.packard at intel.com