EDID decoding in libXrandr?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Nov 16 15:24:58 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 18:59 +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> The monitor name displayed to the user should be computed based on
> both the display descriptor strings, and on the vendor ID, depending
> on what information is available.

All I was suggesting was that the server should probably provide much of
what you want in a EDID-indepenent fashion, so that the same tools will
work with non-EDID monitors.

If you've got a list of identifying information that you'll be pulling
out of EDID, we can see which make sense to have as output properties.

> I also need the ability to compute an identifier that will allow the
> client to recognize whether a monitor we have seen before, or a
> sufficiently similar one, is plugged in so that the mode can be set
> with no user interaction required at all.
>
> Why should the server be involved in these policy questions? Just give
> me the EDID information; parsing it is hardly rocket science.

RandR 1.3 will have a fairly long list of 'standard' properties to try
and make user interfaces more consistent across different video drivers
and monitors; if you've got information you're interested in, having us
standardize the content and format will help not only your application,
but video driver developers as well.

keith.packard at intel.com