client events maintained by x server

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Nov 20 05:48:01 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 12:23:13AM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > 2007/11/20, Russell Shaw <rjshaw at netspace.net.au>:
> >> Oh get out of here, no-one ever helps on this list

Even less reason to ask?

> >> and there's no other list on X programming.
> >
> > I guess Daniel was rather pointing out that the information asked is
> > not really that hard to come by[1]. I agree with him that this mailing
> > list should not be used as a replacement for tutorials and programming
> > guides.
>
> It took me a long time for simple stuff like that despite reading
> the Intrinsics books. Google results are inefficient compared to
> direct questions on a list.

Yes, getting answers from a list is vastly more efficient, but I
personally (and can't claim to speak for the rest of the list, but I'm
assuming this holds true for more than just me) have a fair amount of
distaste for doing peoples' homework.

> > [1] http://www.google.com/search?q=xlib+programming
>
> Read most of the stuff on the web on X and the frameworks built
> upon it, as well as studying in detail the source of most GUI
> frameworks for X.
>
> You won't find anywhere in those google results about the things that
> matter for application performance or programmer productivity.

This isn't about application performance or programmer productivity.
It's about very basic things which could be understood by following the
above Google link.  It's the difference between, 'I've read up on the
issues and have something to ask', versus, 'I have an assignment and am
not sure how to do it, yet I also can't be bothered reading the most
simple guides available, because my time is more valuable than yours'.