xf86-video-intel

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Nov 20 15:05:46 PST 2007

Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:39 +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed that you did some improvements to the backlight support in the video
>> driver. Would it be possible to add an option "do not touch backlight"?
>>
>> Currently, I use backlight level 0 and I highly dislike that starting the
>> X server or playing a movie in mplayer rises backlight to level 7. I do not
>> want it.
>>

> backlight support, is the lid button ?

No backlight is the light behind the lcd. It /should/ (arguable) be
turned off when the lid is closed (as there is little point it in being
on!!), but this is probably something that should be controlled by
something higher up the stack than the driver (please correct me if I'm
wrong). I say this more out of principle rather than practicality as I
cannot think of *any* reason why the backlight should remain on with the
lid closed (and thus there is nothing wrong with this being in the
driver), but the whole backlight control (dim level) when on power vs
battery and what to do when the lid is closed (suspend, nowt, depend on
power status etc.) are probably all handled by the same system e.g.
gnome-power-manager or equiv (again please correct me if I'm wrong here
and this is a pure HAL thing....)

Col