How to change xorg.conf to use intel driver

Al Pacifico adpacifico at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 22 11:12:59 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 3:46 PM,  <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm using Kubuntu w/ similar hardware.  I found that what eventually worked best was to use a minimal xorg.conf file and let xrandr handle most of the config details relying on plug 'n play functionality.

I tried a minimal xorg.conf file:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel 915GM"
        Driver          "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel 915GM"
EndSection

Still, no dice.

Errors in log file:
(EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.
(EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.
(EE) intel(0): First SDVO output reported failure to sync
(EE) intel(0): First SDVO output reported failure to sync
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so failed
(/usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

and there were two warnings that bothered me:
(WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(WW) intel(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum

....so, it seems the configuration file is not the problem, right?

What is the meaning of the SDVO messages?

Finally, is there a cookbook direction for rebuilding the intel driver
out there?

Thanks.
-al

Al Pacifico