fdclock for pentium2

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Nov 24 03:57:09 PST 2007

Hello,

fdclock, this very beautiful desktop clock, if run, unfortunately drowns
a pentium2 cpu into cairo computations, so here is a small patch
increasing the tick interval from 1/10 sec to 1 sec.  :-)
I put this patch here for anyone interested to try out, and on my hard
disk it could get lost easily.

Attached are

    fdclock.c.diff
    fdhand.c.diff

Put these somewhere and then to apply run this:

--------8<--------
#!/bin/sh

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at anoncvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xapps co fdclock

cd fdclock
patch -b < ../fdclock.c.diff
patch -b < ../fdhand.c.diff

CFLAGS="-O2 -DFDCLOCK_SECOND_TICK"  ./autogen.sh
make

cp fdclock ../fdclock.seconds
cd ..
rm -rf fdclock

./fdclock.seconds -sa -g '' -d ''  &

--------8<--------

If xcompmgr is running in the background then try '-o' or '-t' as fun.

Greetings,

    Eeri Kask

P.S. Here are two 'hidden' features:  if geometry string is '\0' then a
fullscreen clock is created (quadratic and centered if -a given);  if
display string is '\0' then the fdclock window is "override redirected",
effectively bypassing the window manager (e.g. escaping twm reparenting).

P.P.S. In minute mode (without -s) the clock is now updated every 5
seconds;  i.e. the update may drift at worst from -3 sec to +3 sec (plus
the precision of usleep()) in respect to the exact minute given by
gettimeofday().