Xlib: maximum number of clients reached

Geoff Kingsmill gkingsmill at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 18:58:06 PST 2007

  I have a number of eight headed workstations that each need in the order of 500 clients (X-Displays).
    After bringing up 250 odd clients I get the following error:-
Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached.        <--

  In Solaris the number of clients can be increased by passing the "-clients 1024" to the X-Server startup.
    I am running RHEL V5.1 (Xorg V7.1.1). Is there a way to increase the number of clients that can be used with the Xorg X-Server?
      Thanks,
Geoff..