intel 945 and gl extension

Roland Scheidegger sroland at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Oct 1 11:24:54 PDT 2007

Florindo Pascarella wrote:
> thank you very much.
> this is the vmware's log:
>
> Current OpenGL Version: 1.3 Mesa 7.0.1 major: 1, minor: 3, release: 0
> mks| GLUtil_InstallExtensionLists: Missing extension GL_ARB_shader_objects
> mks| GLUtil_InstallExtensionLists: Missing extension GL_ARB_vertex_shader
> mks| GLUtil_InstallExtensionLists: Missing required extension
> GL_EXT_texture_compression_
> s3tc
> mks| GLUtil_InstallExtensionLists: Missing extension GL_NV_texture_shader
> mks| GLUtil_InstallExtensionLists: Missing required extension
> GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
> mks| [msg.glBackend.initFailed] Failed to construct OpenGL rendering
> backend.  The 3-D fe
> atures of the display card will be disabled.
>
> i think that the "required extension" are absolutely necessary, and i
> hope solving those vmware can run 3d.
Looks like it. At least for GL_NV_texture_shader, this isn't going to
happen, vmware needs to fix their code to use more generally supported
(and more useful) extensions instead. Not sure though it's actually
really required (note it says "Missing required extension" for some but
only "Missing extension" for others, so it might work just fine without
those).

> you say that  GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc is supported with an
> external library, where can i found it?
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/s3tc_index.html
Though usually for most apps you don't really need it, you can just
enable "fake" support for it with driconf instead.

> and for the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object what i have to do to use the newer driver?
I've not yet tried the new unified i915 driver, but for the old i915tex
driver apart from mesa git (from a week or so ago) for the dri driver
you'd also needed drm from git, and a new enough 2d ddx driver (which
was built with that enabled).

Roland