845G+ADD, DVI->HDMI

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Mon Oct 8 08:29:09 PDT 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Jamie Guinan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Trying to get an (admittedly old) D845GRG board with an DD505A ADD
> card,
>
>   http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845grg/rg_manual.htm
>   http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11443_na/11443_na.HTML
>
> talking to TV with HDMI input,
>
>   http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/ca/consumer/cc/_productid_32PFL5332D_37_CA_CONSUMER/digital-widescreen-flat-TV+32PFL5332D-37
>
> I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, as I understand the digital video
> signal should be compatible.
>
> I'm using Gentoo's xf86-video-i810-2.1.1 package (which, despite the
> name, fetches and builds xf86-video-intel-2.1.1.tar.bz2) and
> xorg-server-1.4-r2.
>
> It seems to be probing the sil164, but it thinks the DVI/HDMI (TMDS)
> isn't connected,

>   (II) intel(0): I2C bus "DVOI2C_E" initialized.
>   (EE) intel(0): detecting sil164
>   (II) intel(0): I2C device "DVOI2C_E:SIL164 TMDS Controller" registered at address 0x70.
>   (II) intel(0): Output TMDS using monitor section TMDS
>   (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
>   (II) intel(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.
>   (II) intel(0): Output VGA connected
>   (II) intel(0): Output TMDS disconnected
>   (II) intel(0): Output configuration:
>   (II) intel(0):   Pipe A is on
>   (II) intel(0):   Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe A.
>   (II) intel(0):   Output VGA is connected to pipe A
>   (II) intel(0):   Output TMDS is connected to pipe none
>
> Full log and config file,
>
>   http://bluebutton.com/misc/xorg/Xorg.0.log-001
>   http://bluebutton.com/misc/xorg/xorg.conf-001

Actually, I got this working after all, with essentially the same
conf,

  http://bluebutton.com/misc/xorg/xorg.conf-003
  http://bluebutton.com/misc/xorg/Xorg.0.log-003

Seemed to require a reboot, and making sure the right HDMI-in channel
was selected when booting up.  No VGA connected anymore, so I can't
see console output, only X.  [ Could try FB console, I suppose. ]

I wasn't able to get 720p modes working, X cursor was all jittery;
required a reboot even to get 1024x768 working properly again.

Anyway, just wanted to close this thread.

-Jamie