Xorg Input Hotplugging

David Sharp whereami at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:59:35 PDT 2007

Hi Ben. I'm glad you've had success getting input hotplug to work.
I've had none.

Would you mind writing down the steps you took to configure X, dbus,
hal, and anything else you think is relevant? wiki.x.org might be a
good place for it, if you can. If not, if you email it to the list,
someone might put it up for you.

My situation is a bit different, in that I'm trying to run the MPX
server, and I'm trying to install it in a prefix other than /usr
(/opt/mpx).

What I've done (configuration wise)
 - added /opt/mpx/lib to ld.so.conf
 - /opt/mpx/etc/X11/mpx.xorg.conf has zero input configuration
 - I put x11-input.fdi in /etc/hal/fdi
 - the server install put xorg-server.conf in /opt/mpx/etc/dbus-1/system.d
 - I added a /etc/dbus-1/system-local.conf:
<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
  <includedir>/opt/mpx/etc/dbus-1/system.d</includedir>
</busconfig>
 - I've written a startup script that exports LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
LD_RUN_PATH and runs:
startx ssh-agent dbus-launch --exit-with-session /opt/mpx/mpwm --
/opt/mpx/bin/Xorg :0 -config mpx.xorg.conf

This results in a server with no input devices... I have to kill X to
get back to console.

Thanks for any help!