Faster window resize in a composite manager

Dennis Kasprzyk onestone at opencompositing.org
Tue Oct 16 05:54:29 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've implemented my idea from my "Idea how to fix slow window resize in a
composited desktop" post. My patches add a new function
XCompositeSetWindowPixmapSize to Xcomposite. The compositing manager can use
this function to set the window pixmap to the desired size, and the xserver
will not change the pixmap and it's size during a resize. If
XCompositeSetWindowPixmapSize is called with 0/0 as size, the xserver
switches back to it's current pixmap handling and resizes the current pixmap
back to the window size.

The compiz patches add the functionality to compiz to use the new function.
Theses patches to compiz are only a prove of concept and are there a some
things that need to be optimized in compiz with this new function.

I've seen a great resize speed improvement (still not as fast as without
compiz) with the nvidia binary driver and got also positive feedback from
tests with the intel driver.

Dennis Kasprzyk