Xorg Input Hotplugging

David Sharp whereami at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:50:23 PDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:59:35PM -0700, David Sharp wrote:
> > Hi Ben. I'm glad you've had success getting input hotplug to work.
> > I've had none.
> >
> > Would you mind writing down the steps you took to configure X, dbus,
> > hal, and anything else you think is relevant? wiki.x.org might be a
> > good place for it, if you can. If not, if you email it to the list,
> > someone might put it up for you.
> >
> > My situation is a bit different, in that I'm trying to run the MPX
> > server, and I'm trying to install it in a prefix other than /usr
> > (/opt/mpx).
> >
> > What I've done (configuration wise)
> >  - added /opt/mpx/lib to ld.so.conf
> >  - /opt/mpx/etc/X11/mpx.xorg.conf has zero input configuration
>
> Try adding Option "AllowEmptyInput" to the ServerFlags section.
>
> >  - I put x11-input.fdi in /etc/hal/fdi
>
> It may not be getting scanned correctly: I think it might have to be in
> /etc/hal/fdi/policy or somesuch.  Try lshal | grep x11, and making sure
> that all the entries are there.

Thanks Daniel. I think at least some of this helped. Also, adding
Option "SWCursor" "on" was required (at least with these nvidia binary
drivers and MPX). I'm much closer now. At first I was getting a
cursor, but no keyboard (I only have one each plugged in at the
moment). The missing keyboard was also missing a input.x11_driver hal
property, so I made some adjustments to x11-input.fdi. It was matching
"info.capapilities" to "input.keys" instead of "input.keyboard". Not
sure if that is a mistake in the default x11-input.fdi, or my likely
ancient version of hal.

One final issue I'm seeing, but I think this is a problem specific to
MPX: once a keyboard is brought in to the server, I cant use
ctrl+alt+FN to switch to another VT. I also can't use
ctrl+alt+backspace to quit the server (and mpwm has no way to exit,
afaict).

This is really cool! Thanks a lot for your help.