VNC patch for Xserver 1.3

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Thu Oct 18 19:20:04 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:26:10PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 10/18/07, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> > Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > > You may want to try my patch. I remember fixing this. Or, you just
> > > need to make sure the symlink-vnc.sh script is executable after
> > > applying the patch.
> > >
> > > chmod +x symlink-vnc.sh
> > >
> > > That may be why it's not finding auth.c. I believe it gets symlinked
> > > from hw/vnc -> hw/xfree86/vnc.
> >
> > *bang* That was the sound of Dan's hammer hitting Colin's nail on the head.
>
> Glad to know that solved things. I think I'll go add that chmod
> reminder to my patch header so I don't forget again.
>
> > After applying the patch, I simply do the chmod as you suggest and all
> > seems well :) Certainly things get past this. I still have issues with
> > dmx but I don't htink it's related to this specifically so I wont go
> > into detail.
>
> I recall that I couldn't build dmx on vanilla xorg-server-1.4, so it
> might not be the VNC patch causing problems.
>
> > I'd still suggest a cleanup of the CVS repo to merge the missing
> > upstream files properly all the same.
>
> I really wanted to send some patches to Alan and Brian, but I was
> pretty worn out after the effort to generate the patch. One of these
> days I'm gonna import the xf4vnc repo into git and start cleaning
> things up in a sane way.

Finally I gave your patch a try. Unfortunately it suffers from the same
problem as mentioned before. The Xserver crashes when the libvnc module
is loaded.

(**) Mouse[3]: always reports core events
(II) evaluating device (Mouse[3])

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x496f0a]
1: /lib64/libc.so.6 [0x2b5221649ba0]
2: /lib64/libc.so.6(strlen+0x40) [0x2b522168eba0]
3: X(xf86ActivateDevice+0x59) [0x499279]
4: X(InitInput+0x4d) [0x46785d]
5: X(main+0x370) [0x436210]

I'm wondering why you don't see this problem.

Best regards,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany